Position Paper / White Paper

Austria UNESCO (2017) - Topic 1

single post cover



Implementing Sustainable Development


Austria’s government is a federal parliamentary republic, and its President is Alexander Van der Bellen and current chancellor is Christian Kern. Austria’s current GDP is 386.4 billion. Austria is located in Europe and is bordering Germany and Czech Republic. Its population is 8,794,267.


A few fields of action and improvement are equality between women and men, peace and human security, health promotion,  sustainable consumption, environmental protection, cultural diversity, rural development, and sustainable urban development. The United Nations has many plans to introduce all the countries of the world to renewable energy. By 2030 guarantee worldwide access to affordable, reliable and modern energy sources. Also to double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency, and enhance international cooperation to ensure clean energy research and technological research.


All electricity in Austria largest state is 100% renewable energy sources. SInce 2002 it has invested 2.8 billion in eco electricity. 75% of energy in Austria comes from renewable energy sources and the other 25% comes from fossil fuels. So far Austria has created 38,000 green jobs and by 2030 aim to create about 50,000.  The northeastern part of Austria now gets 63% of its electricity from hydroelectric power, 26% from wind energy, 9%  from biomass and 2% from solar.


In conclusion, Austria supports sustainable energy, but they haven't progressed as much as they wish, but they have begun to decrease its dependency on fossil fuels.

A few possible solutions for this crisis is investing more renewable energy sources, mixing fuel with a larger quantity of ethanol, and limiting citizens use of fossil fuels. By doing these things Austria may be able to rely more on renewable energy sources and make more of their country green.